Written by Sahithi Divi
My husband and I were returning from Australia to India with a layover in Sri Lanka for a day . That’s when we decided to explore the nearby places and ended up in a cozy traveler’s hostel at Galle Fort, Sri Lanka to unwind for an hour. When I reached out to get a view of the anciently tucked luxurious streets from our balcony, saw this guy with a Lonely Planet book and a fifteen year old translator greeting a warm-filled happy ‘ Hello My Fraiendd’ ! After all when you are looking for an experience, never miss taking forward to have that exciting conversation just because you don’t know the language. ( the three of us had a very good time for that one hour before we left)
” His name is Oier Areitio from Eibar town in the Basque Country ” of Spain“.
Few months later in Hyderabad…
- Homecoming – Oier actually came back to see us in India before leaving to Spain. That one day taught me a lot about life when I learnt that he decided to spend his limited time and resources to meet us and not touring few more places instead. He showed a gesture that exhales soo much Value.
- Aura – He is a farmer in The Basque country, empath yet an individual non perfectionist who believes in sudden plans, instant hugs, spreading humor and endless sarcasm.
- Celebrating differences – He embraced how different things were, never compared or complaint. While he indulged on ‘India food feast’ he also cooked his local dishes for us. He serenely enjoyed the elements that made him uncomfortable because he could see through people.
- Musical Nostalgia – While we held to the collections from i tunes, Spotify etc. During his stay with us we found unbelievable sources/collection from the local radio stations back in The Basque country. Like he came with gift boxes full of music we love but haven’t heard before.
- Co existence – Oier not only connected with us two but also owned everyone we know here. He made memories with everything that is connected to us that he experienced during his stay. He connects on a human level for easily becoming a part of where he is.
- The Game Of Thrones – When he showed us the videos of his country, we realized it is the same location where Danerys lands on the Dragonstone. And then he tells us about the many other locations we see in the GOT t.v show and awe about are just less than a thirty min drive for him. Theplace we grow up reflects in our approach towards life.
- Blissful Goodbye -His goodbye remained, igniting a dream for us to go there in search of him ; so that he can play his character in our life’s movie to once again to broaden the horizons and grow.
My Fraiendd is My Familia now…
Written by Sahithi Divi ( source : http://www.impactscientist.com)